Sunday, June 10, 2012

The purpose of this blog




So just what is sierra soundtracks re-orchestrated?  Well, for years I've been a huge fan of the sierra adventure titles from the 80s and the 90s... especially the music heard in them.  While the music heard in many of these games is effective and worked for its time, on this blog I'll be posting new versions of these soundtracks which I have re-orchestrated and re-arranged updating the original tunes making them far more cinematic in sound utilizing current music technology and samples.  Please take note that any music I post here was done from scratch and is NOT using the original source material in any way other than referencing the themes and motifs heard.

Why am I qualified to do this?  I've been working professionally in the video game industry as a composer and sound designer for the better part of 9 years and have a wealth of experience composing cinematic music.  But enough about me, this blog is all about my 20 year love affair with Sierra adventure games and the music heard in them.  You can learn more about me and hear some of my original music over at my website: http://www.richdouglas.net 

I'll post pieces which I've re-imagined as I get 'em done.  Some of these music re-orchestrations will rely heavily on the original pieces themselves and be instantly recognizable... while others will just use hints of the old pieces and be completely re orchestrated from the ground up just using the games story as inspiration.  On occasion there will most likely be guest pieces from other non-sierra retro games.

I also wanted to do a big shout out to Quest Studios...what Tom does over there is absolutely amazing and a service to all of us fans of classic sierra titles!  Be sure to check out his amazing Sierra Soundtrack Database here:
Quest Studios

I'll actually be referencing material over at Quest Studios quite a bit in order to provide reference so you guys can hear the source material and what it is exactly that I'm updating music wise.

The first official music post after this will be a suite of music from POLICE QUEST 1: IN PURSUIT OF DEATH ANGEL.  Stay tuned for updates as I have time to make them... I've already started work on a completely reworked soundtrack from police quest III and will most likely tackle Heart of China shortly after that.



2 comments:

  1. Stumbled upon your site looking for new soundtracks to write about. Very happy to have found it as I am huge fan of this era of Sierra and LucasArts games. I would love to hear your spin on my favorite Robin Hood : Conquests of the Longbow and maybe something from Sierra\Dynamix territory with Betrayal at Krondor. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey James, thanks so much for your kind words! Ive actually started a betrayal at krondor orchestration, so expect to see that eventually. Coming up next is a suite from Codename Iceman (which rocks) and a rousing extended rendition of the Pitfall II theme as a guest game appearance. Thanks again for the interest and stay tuned!

      Delete